Sunday, November 8, 2009

BP11_2009112_Web 2.0 Tool_Askforia


Askforia is a social question and answer web 2.0 tool developed by three 15-year-olds from Singapore. It is very cool to explore around the site and see what people ask as well as what they offer for answers. It was very ironic that when I looked on the front page of the site, the question was “Identify the Communication Barriers in Traditional Learning and Online Learning?” This is precisely the reason why I think this site is a great tool for students. They can ask questions from their peers as well as I can pose questions to my students for critical thinking purposes.

The idea that a collective social network is there to help you with your questions is very useful. So far I have come to the conclusion that Askforia offers the best and easiest way to explore, share and answer questions with people from around the world. With Askforia, students can ask questions from anywhere at anytime, and they can get answers from their friends (conversational) or experts (educational). I cannot count the times that I have had a question that I just could not answer. Usually I went without an answer so ling that I forgot it all together. With this tool I can post the question and then check back a little later to get an answer. Of course you will have to evaluate the answers that you get for yourself, but it is a great step towards finding the answers you need.

Sign in and try it out. You never know what you might be able to find out or what you may help someone else find out. Students will benefit from the chance to use critical thinking skills.

2 comments:

  1. Tim,
    I think that is pretty neat. I could use that in my newspaper classroom if we are just trying to get a feel for what people think or know about an issue. Thanks!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is great! The possibilities are endless for any class. Gather what they think about any topic then research for validity. You could use this to ask questions of students from another country about their culture, climate, or some historic event to get information from those who lived it. Another great find and worth sharing with all.

    ReplyDelete